[Diy_efi] Projects

Clair Davis clair.davis
Thu Oct 18 03:55:59 UTC 2012

Probably a good refresher for me to think about this again.  I've talked a
bit about my project with some of you in the past, most likely on the GM-ECM
list.

My project is installing a GM TPI-based MPI on a 1969 Plymouth Valiant
sedan.  The car was my daily driver for years, and I've been setting the car
up as a fun cruiser and SCCA auto-cross / road racer as it becomes more of a
toy.  I started the swap to EFI after fuel and oil control issues became the
limiting handling factors.

The system is based on a 7730, and includes a number of GM and
Chrysler-based parts.  I'm tuning with TunerProRT and Moates' APU1, and I
have some version of AUJP in the car now.  I have been able to drive the car
some, but most of my tuning progress was made just before and shortly after
my 1st son was born - 7 years ago.  I really need to get this car back on
the road and enjoy driving it again, and the tuning is all that is
preventing that from happening right now.   Idle is nice and WOT is
surprising, but that bit in the middle is trouble...

I'm hoping that over the next few months I'll be able to sort out the part
throttle cruise problems enough to be able to drive it to a local dyno shop
and do some more detailed tuning off the highways and side streets.  I'm
also seriously considering a move to a different control system if it will
significantly ease my tuning chores, but I've got quite a bit invested in
this OBD-I setup, so the benefit/cost has to be there.

Here's some eye-candy for sticking with me so far...

The car as she was right before the EFI project started, all the suspension
goodies in place:
http://www.moparfins.com/clairdavis/webimages/69sedan/In_The_Park2-PS-Clippe
d.jpg

And here's the engine after getting all the hard parts bolted down for
keeps:
http://www.moparfins.com/clairdavis/webimages/69sedan/upgrades/efi/TB_Serp_O
n-small.jpg

Thanks,