[Diy_efi] Projects

Goss Andy deuceefi
Thu Oct 18 17:07:39 UTC 2012

My project is a replica of a 1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe powered by a
1996 GM 3100 SFI V6 mated to a 1989 GM TH700R4 automatic transmission.
 The front timing cover has been replaced with one from a 1995
Chevrolet Camaro 3400 V6 engine.  The flexplate, torque convertor and
transmission are from a 1989 Chevrolet Camaro which had a 2.8L V6.

I welded up the headers myself along with creating custom engine
mounting brackets.

Here is a photo of the project so far:
http://i.imgur.com/te5vu.jpg

The red bullet shaped mufflers are a temporary exhaust system.

Here is a photo of the engine, and yes, it is a FWD engine that has
been mated with a RWD transmission.
http://i.imgur.com/ucTVu.jpg

Here is a look at the custom Free and Open Source Software and
hardware ECU that runs the engine and will eventually control the
torque convertor clutch lockup solenoid:
http://i.imgur.com/FjsAw.jpg

Currently the ECU is controlling the injectors in a semi-sequential
fashion and controlling the DIS ignition module ignition advance.  The
ECU activates the fuel pump when the RPM inputs see that the engine is
rotating and it controls the radiator fan (on at 95C, off at 90C).
The ECU is running on FreeEMS 0.2.0 firmware.

Here is a short video of the Deuce starting up and driving around on
the custom ECU:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSgk9IjBvWA&feature=plcp

I am primarily using EMStudio (http://www.emstune.com) to tune the ECU
and MegaTunix (http://www.megatunix.com) can be used for bench testing
the outputs and some tuning as well.

The Deuce still has a way to go, but it is a work in progress...

Thanks,

Andy