[Diy_efi] Stepper Motor to drive mechanical speedo

Mike niche
Tue Oct 23 07:37:25 UTC 2012

You dont need a 'servo motor' as such, these are built to a high standard
and work with position and velocity feedback, so tend to be expensive.

All you need is a DC motor, such as from a centrifugal pump used in automotives,
they spin fast and can be got cheaply from wreckers, just find a windscreen washer motor
that isnt too corroded or old. Maybe leave the impeller on as it gives you somewhere to
mount as most shafts on these cheap dc motors are very thin and hard to connect
to without adding eccentricity and that means low operating life.

By providing pwm and a pic (cpu) You are making the overall system a velocity
feedback 'servo' system by using a mass produced DC motor.

btw: You will hear the speedo whine if the motor is mounted close, suggest use some
of the speedo cable and mount the motor near the engine then you wont hear it, use a cheap
coupler like a meccano type or get a radio control motor rubber/plastic coupler from the local
hobby shop, good luck, its a good intro project to motor controls and what can
be achieved with some application and intention, pictures and update would be nice, thanks

cheers
mike