[Diy_efi] ILIOS for Uego

Steven Donegan donegan
Fri Jan 4 23:54:07 UTC 2013

I have been working on this project for several years - a tablet would work dandy, but I don't do Java or that weird C variant the iPad does (and wouldn't want to have to deal with Apples $ and rules for an app anyway). Android is better - as you can bypass the stores and do direct loads/testing. I am exploring that.

However this is a hobby and the goal is what is important to me - that goal is having a tool customized for Open Road Racing (sscc.us shows what that is about). So at present the system that works is:

Habey seriously dinky (5x5x1.5 inches) indrustrial fanless computer running Debian.

picoLCD 2x20 LCD display with 16 key 4x4 matrix keypad (can be managed by gloved fingers - tablets/phones require conductive touches - nomex kills that idea real quick).

Software in C which I have been doing since C first began so the coding is easy :-)

Bluetooth connection to an OBD-II elm327 device and via USB to a 10 Hz/66 satellite GPS receiver.

When it is in a state I feel comfy with I will gladly post it to the website if the moderator is willing to host it :-)

Mid May is my deadline for it to be ready to race... as of this moment the GPS and display (and all the parsing and math involved) work, the keypad does not yet work and while I have OBD-II libraries I have not yet integrated them.

____________
Steven Donegan
SSCC/NORC Life Member, Car #86
www.sscc.us

--- On Fri, 1/4/13, jayjunk at laserpubs <jaysjunk at laserpubs.com> wrote:

From: jayjunk at laserpubs <jaysjunk at laserpubs.com>
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] ILIOS for Uego
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Date: Friday, January 4, 2013, 11:24 PM

It seems like a phone wouldn't be the best choice for an automotive app
- too small a display and too expensive. And too much specialized
hardware that isn't needed for automotive display and control. How about
a cheap tablet?
It would only need single touch for most things.
For anything you would access while driving, you'd want big "buttons",
not controls requiring precise aim.

What about a display for arbitrary sensors - multiple cheap temperature
sensors, etc.?

Of course, being able to also dock the phone for hands-free functions
could be worthwhile.

Regards
Jay