[Efi332] Quick project update to the list...

Paul Helmuth PaulHelmuth
Mon Aug 29 04:30:15 UTC 2005

All,

Well, I finally got everything in order to trigger the ignition system with my MPC555 based ECU - and the ignition portion seems to be working beautifully.

I had some machine work done a few weeks ago to provide the mounting of the crank trigger wheel to the crank pulley. That turned out very nice. I fabricated a simple mount for the sensor last weekend, but initial testing showed a problem maintaining crank-synch below 1200 RPM. Apparently there was enough engine vibration/movement to cause the gap between the sensor and the trigger wheel to vary in way that resulted in the PMMX function loosing synch.

All I had to do to make a short-term fix was to tighten up a loose motor mount, but after seeing the problem I am also going to add a bracket to the sensor mount to eliminate (at least in practical terms) any "swaying" motion of the sensor.

After tightening up one motor mount, synch was being maintained at all RPM so I flipped the switch to have the ECU trigger the ignition box and the engine never skipped a beat. It did pick up some RPM due to the fact that the ECU was giving it about 10 more degrees advance at idle.

The next test was to see if the ECU would be able to synch at cranking speed and thus start. Somewhat to my surprise, it did!

So, now it's on to the more interesting part - actually controlling fuel flow. Since my initial target platform is an 1800B (from an MGB) there is going to be a lot work just sorting out the EFI pieces and parts and getting them attached to the MGB, but it should be great fun.

Dave - how goes the interrupt-driven serial I/O library stuff?

-Paul