[Efi332] newbie (also Autronic EFI and Bosch ignition modules)

Erik Berg ozone.breath
Sun Oct 22 04:15:21 UTC 2006

Howdy all,
I'm an EE with several car projects; right now I'm trying to sort out a
problem
with my '65 Lotus Elan, which uses an Autronic ECU and a distributorless
wasted
spark ignition system.  The previous owner built both the EFI system and the

ignition system.

The ignition system uses Bosch ignition drivers and Mitsubishi coils.  I
have been
having problems with the car eating coils.  I wonder if they are getting too
hot.  The
coils are mounted right to the head (they probably get pretty hot just from
this) but
also I wonder if the ignition modules are working correctly.

I haven't gotten the ignition modules out yet to check the part numbers, but
I was
told by the PO that they are the type that controls the dwell.  Apparently,
the
Autronic only sets the advance; the ignition drivers somehow (anyone know
how
they do this?) figure out ahead of time when to start charging the coil, to
charge to
full current before the ECU triggers the spark.

Regards,
Erik Berg