[Efi332] newbie (also Autronic EFI and Bosch ignition modules)

BowTieVette at aol.com BowTieVette
Sun Oct 22 19:13:26 UTC 2006

Hi Erik,

I think the _only_ way to kill off coils is by overheating and/or
overdriving them. I don't know exactly how automatic dwell systems work,  but I'd guess
that they probably rely on limiting current at a certain  value or on sensing
di/dt. They must have some short term learning or  memory feature to apply to
the next spark event.

Regardless of the mechanism, if it isn't working or is tailored  for a higher
impedance coil with longer charge cycles, that's not going to help  coil
life. You can check by scoping the coil current draw. Typical dwell  durations are
around 2-4 ms.

I imagine the cylinder head heat isn't helping much either. Do  you mean they
are mounted to the head or the valve covers? Hopefully if its  the head, its
on the intake side and not the exhaust side!  Are there any  insulators? Are
the coils finned?

HTH

In a message dated 10/22/2006 12:16:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,