[Efi332] newbie (also Autronic EFI and Bosch ignition modules)

Andrei Chichak andreic
Sun Oct 22 23:44:29 UTC 2006

 > The ignition system uses Bosch ignition
drivers and Mitsubishi coils. I have been
 > having problems with the car eating coils.  I
wonder if they are getting too hot. The
 > coils are mounted right to the head (they
probably get pretty hot just from this) but
 > also I wonder if the ignition modules are working correctly.

The Bosch ignition modules will charge the coil
then shut down after a short period of time. The
dwell time is satisfied so it stops the current
flow. After a little while longer it completely
shuts down (as seen by my experiments). BUT the
ignition module is basically just a great huge
transistor switch that switches the coil to ground.

I'll bet that you are blowing coils because the
coils need a ballast resistor and you don't have
one. There are a couple of coil styles, low
resistance and high resistance. Low resistance
are about 0.5 Ohm on the primary and the high
resistance ones are about 3 Ohms.

The low resistance ones are expected to either be
run with a system that can handle them or with
(typically) an external resistor. This coil is
fed raw power during start then switched over to
a 3 Ohm current limiting resistor during run.

Running without a resistor will have the coil
drawing about 24 amps all of the time and it will
make a big spark - for a while. Your di/dt will
be huge compared to the normal 4 amps for the
same period with the resistor, but you have to
dissipate 36 times the heat if I have my math right.

With a high resistance coil you just draw 4 amps during start and running.

Andrei

 > Regards,
 > Erik Berg

Andrei Chichak