[Efi332] alternate processors

bowtievette at aol.com bowtievette
Wed Jan 3 20:27:06 UTC 2007

Andrei,
Is your '332 project a new one or the same that you guys had previously?  Have you guys plunged into anything using the eTPU?

Bigstuff3's processor comparison is interesting. His Gen1 system reportedly used dual Motorola processors (332's?), but he must have switched to Infineon with the gen3. Makes me wonder what drove that decision since as you point out, it would probably have been an easier transition to the MPC5xx or perhaps the Coldfire w/eTPU.

I haven't done any research on it but based on how he ranks it relative to the '332, I imagine the SAB C16X on par with the 5xx, and below the 55xx.

Looks like his price point is a fair bit lower than FAST et al.

-----Original Message-----
From: andreic at chichak.ca
To: efi332 at diy-efi.org
Sent: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 4:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Efi332] alternate processors

At 10:19 AM 12/30/2006, you wrote:
>I came across some mention of the "bigstuff3" controller and saw >that he is using an Infineon TriCore processor. Is there anyone on >this list who has worked with these? Or for that matter anything >non-Freescale? Just curious to hear feedback relative to Freescale offerings.

I had a look at the processor that is in the bigstuff3, he calls it the SABC 16x but it should be the SAB C16X. We were looking for a processor that would do various timing related tasks, nothing too esoteric, just a whole bunch of it. The candidates were PICs, 68HC12s, Analog's Blackfin, the C16x, and the 68332. We went for the '332 because the TPU gave us a huge amount of flexability, which is a huge advantage when management keeps changing the specs. We were also looking for a well established processor from a well established company.

As it turns out we rolled our own microcode to give a bunch of UARTs, PWM, an extra SPI, and some digital I/O. As I said, nothing too esoteric, but it was really easy to add an extra UART without adding extra chips.

On the bigstuff3 pages he has a processor comparison. As far as the customers are concerned this metric is pretty irrelevant. If the system idles 50% of the time or 75% of the time and it does the job, then either processor is adequate.

Also, if Motec needed a faster processor, they could switch their 68332 over to an MPC56X or a Coldfire with a TPU much easier than switching to the "faster" C16X family.

Basically then C16X looked like a pretty normal but fast processor.

Andrei