Dwell Control

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Apr 11 13:47:13 GMT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Ward <wspoonemore at excite.com>
To: <gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 1999 1:20 AM
Subject: Re: Dwell Control

Then why with the Haltech ecm ([E6GM] a direct replacement for the aussie
165) do they mention to use it with a ignition module that performs the
dwell controll?.
  Then why are there so many different ignition modules?.
How can the ecm perform a closed loop dwell controll with no feedback from
the coil?.
Bruce

> Bruce, the only time that dwell is controled by the module it when the
> system is in by-pass, (set init timing) or durring the 1st. part of start
> up, (when RPM lt 400).
>
> If you work it out, in usec it a tough job for an analog ckt. The math for
> V8 is sec = 15/RPM, this will be the time for a single cyl ecvent, or 90
> degrees of crank.
>
> Let use 3000 RPM. 15/3000 = 0.005 seconds or 5000 usec for 90 degrees of
> crank, if we have 20 degrees of spark advance, that say's we will fire the
> coil 20 degrees before the next Dist Ref Pulse, (DRP) or in fact, (90 -
20)
> or 70 degrees after the last DRP. each degree is 5000/90 or 55.5
> usec/degree.
>
> The interesting thing is that the coil is an electrical circuit and could
> care less about degrees of crank, but it tends to retarad (as in resist)
the