Dwell Control

Ward wspoonemore at excite.com
Sun Apr 11 05:20:28 GMT 1999

Bruce, the only time that dwell is controled by the module it when the
system is in by-pass, (set init timing) or durring the 1st. part of start
up, (when RPM lt 400).

If you work it out, in usec it a tough job for an analog ckt. The math for a
V8 is sec = 15/RPM, this will be the time for a single cyl ecvent, or 90
degrees of crank.

Let use 3000 RPM. 15/3000 = 0.005 seconds or 5000 usec for 90 degrees of
crank, if we have 20 degrees of spark advance, that say's we will fire the
coil 20 degrees before the next Dist Ref Pulse, (DRP) or in fact, (90 - 20)
or 70 degrees after the last DRP. each degree is 5000/90 or 55.5
usec/degree.

The interesting thing is that the coil is an electrical circuit and could
care less about degrees of crank, but it tends to retarad (as in resist) the
flow of electrical current, and therefore requires time to charge up,(sort
of like filing the bucket).

So the dwell issue is an old hold over from point's. In fact the coild don't
care as long as you giveit enough time to charge, In the case of most GM
coils the min time is about 1 500 usec.

I am sure you will chatch on that I'm working this out as I go, I had a
tough time when I ws desiging a computer ignition system abiout 10 years
back, get the time travel issue under contol.

As an aside thanks for the other info.

Ward