3800 motor swap, and EGR adapter plate

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 24 21:33:49 GMT 1999

At 05:22 PM 4/24/99 -0400, you wrote:

> Hey all... quick question , would love some help with this one...
> I'm just finishing up a motor swap in my 1988 buick Lesabre T-type... a 1997
> 3800 supercharged.. I'm using the stock 1988 computer from the original 3800
> series I. The problem I face is that of the the EGR valve... the origial is
> the 4 wire digital and the new motor uses the linear egr with PWM and
> position feedback.. right now I just want to use a block off plate where the
> EGR valve was so I can get the car running, and then worry about making an
> adapter plate so that the old EGR will fit on the new mounting plate.. If I
> block off the EGR ports with a plate, and don't hook up the harness to
> anything.. will the computer sense this and not play with spark or fuel when
> the EGR is supposed to be engaged? I understand that when the EGR opens.. the
> computer compensates by advancing the timing and leaning out the amount of
> fuel?
> should I worry, or will the computer take care of this in the mean time?
> Your help is appreciated, response to me personally, or in the list would be
> great,
>
> Kevin Margitta
>
> 3800 II superchared 1988 Lesabre T-type

It won't be modifying the fuel/timing for EGR if the EGR is disconnected from
the PCM... it will sense the lack of a load on the EGR control and will set a
trouble code...  Not sure if the EGR code in that model will modify params
(Pseudo Limp mode) for a faulty EGR or not.  My 93 4.3l Jimmy did though.
           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
   Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!