Need Throttle Body!

Kurek, Larry lkurek at anl.gov
Mon Aug 2 14:34:24 GMT 1999

> I've got my new 3.1L V6 motor running now but the idle is not
> steady and
> sticks sometimes just above full close.  I've traced the
> problem to a very
> worn shaft in the throttle body that is probably leaking air
> as well as
> sticking.  Is this a common problem for 120K mileage engines?

Can be. A lot of stuff wears out in 120K miles. Wouldn't be surprised.

>  Can it be
> reapired or does it need replacement?

ANYTHING can be repaired...just takes someone who knows what they are doing.

> What are my options
> and does anyone
> have a spare for sale?

I'd just take apart the old one and have the shaft holes bored out and have
some flanged bushing pressed in and reamed. Probably last a couple 100K more
miles, since they would be better than factory. Do it yourself for about $5
:)

Larry