Twin turbine TBI pump (was Suction through a unpowered Tank Pump.)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Tue Aug 10 03:29:12 GMT 1999

>> > Hi Bob--
>> >
>> > Got any flow/pressure data for this twin turbine TBI pump--or a list of
>> > applications??
>>
>> same pump from 4.3 up to 454 TBI
>> output 10-13 PSI
>> flow maxes out at about 400-450 Hp
>>
>> Clive

Yeah, thanks. Now --the question is--since 400 or 450 HP ought to be about
200 or 225 lbs./hr., or about 35 to 38 (US) gallons per hour at 10 to 13
psi.

Anybody have any idea how much volume it will pump if the output pressure
is only maybe 3 or 5 psi?? (And the input voltage is a really steady 14
vdc? or 16 vdc?)

(I'm looking for about 80 gallons per hour at maybe 3 or 5 psi from an
in-tank pump.) (750 HP)

Point is that 3 or 5 psi should be plenty to keep a vapor separator (and
fuel accumulator) full and also to keep the HP pump well enough primed for
it to stay free of any cavitation..

>Thanks for the help, GM doesn't put this kind of info
>in their shop manuals anymore. (I wish they did!)

WHOT !!??!!--you refuse to be as ignorant as they would like to keep you?
How dare you cop such a belligerent attitude toward eating the General's
pablum??

>> > (Sounds to me like it might not be a bad primary pump for a system using an
>> > in-line high pressure pump, of either the electrical or mechanical drive
>> > flavor.)
>> >

>Yes, Ford did this on a bunch of trucks, low pressure in tank,

So did Volvo. I Don't have a lot of hope for these (Ford or Volvo) primary
pumps to make the kind of flow I am looking for, since they were only meant
to make low pressure in the first place.

I have been toying with the idea of using an in-tank mounted marine bilge
pump for a primary fuel pump. LOTS of flow,  (36 HUNDRED gallons per hour
not a problem) but a stalled flow head of only maybe 5 psig. Pretty easy on
the power, as well, at least at low flow rates. Gotta be explosion proof to
go into a bilge. Dirt tolerant--so no need for a suction sock that gets
dirty and restricts flow, then plugs up. First filter could be in line,
between the in tank pump and the vapor separator. At low flow rates
(relative to the pump's max flow capacity) the pump curve is VERY flat, so
using a primary pressure regulator would be superfluous to the point of
being a joke.

Any thoughts?? Reasons why not??

 Regards, Greg