Chip for 85 305 TPI on carb 350

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Tue Aug 10 09:15:07 GMT 1999

I've found out some more about this hybrid engine.  Things are looking better...

The 350 block is a 3970010 casting, which means 68 to early 72.  The
short block is an original, non-rebuilt, low mile motor, thus all the
original specs apply.  It has domed (popup) pistons.  Depending on the
year and original application, the CR is at worst 8.5, and might be as
high as 10.25.

It is now running 85 Camaro 305 TPI heads.  I'm told that the original
head's chambers measured the same as the Camaro heads, hence the CR
shouldn't be changed.

Therefore:

Because the engine is running 305 injectors, any tweaks should start
with a 305 chip.  It's a MAF engine, thus the fuel delivery will be
correct.  (I'm so used to thinking MAP where a displacement change will
cause problems.)  The timing should be checked, not necessarily to
change the tables, but in case the ECM is computing an incorrect load.

Do engine blocks have a casting date on them?