Car dieing additinal info.

Ward wspoonemore at excite.com
Wed Aug 11 03:01:49 GMT 1999

IAC's typicaly stick where ever that are at the moment.

The motor is a 2 phase stepper motor the is on a jack screw shaft.

The 160 steps for open is typical for a car, the compter commands the IAC to
this position after key off, (the ECM runs for a few second after shutdown).

On start up, the IAC moves rapidly to a value looked up on a  steps vs
coolant table.

After specific qual's are meet the IAC will go into ist own closed loop
mode, regulating RPM looked up from a new table, RPM Vs. Cool. Late vehicles
have 4 different target RPM tables.

I recomend that you check your MAP in gear and out of gear, S/B 35 - 40 Kpa,
about a 5 kap diff in Vs out of gear.

This probelem you describe is not typical of any IAC failue I've seen. More
like a Vacuum leak.

I would also check fuel pressure. Do theis with the key on and motor off.
System should hold pressure overnight. 10# drop in 5 min's is a fail.

Ward