Car dieing additinal info.

Patrick G. Moore pmoore at cmr.gov
Wed Aug 11 16:22:45 GMT 1999

Roger Heflin wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, David Cooley wrote:
>
> > Roger,
> > The 700R4 trannies have a habit of the TCC solenoid goingbad, and the TCC
> > clutches in the convertors going if locked under WOT conditions...  Sounds
> > like the problem with the lug and possibly the dying.
> >

> Now, if the TCC was actually destroyed, would it still lock?  Or would
> it just not lock at all?   Mine seems to be locking nice and solid,
> just not unlocking sometimes, which would seem to imply the solenoid
> or the fluid paths having a problem, the TCC was locking at WOT with
> the stock programming (that came from GM).
>
> Could the clutch fail in such a way that independent of the solenoid
> that it would stay locked?
>
>                                 Roger
Hi!

I recently read about someone with a similar problem on a GM FWD tranny.
The car would die when put in gear.  It turned out to be the TCC solenoid
which he replaced and everything was fine.  Sounds like maybe yours went
bad and possibly driving it like that wore the TCC clutch enough to slip
some.

You are right about a vacuum leak causing a higher idle.  I have a 88 Astro
van which had a high idle when I bought it.  My turbolink told me it was
closing the IAC all the way.  I took it out and cleaned it.  Turning on the
key did not make it move (thought it was supposed to).  Fired the engine
briefly and the pintle shot right off the thing.  Good thing I was able
to put it back in :)  Anyway, it would speed up the idle when TB cleaner
was sprayed near a certain spot at the base of the TB.  New TB gasket
(old one had 1/4" missing) put the IAC to about 20 counts and good idle.
Oh, earlier I had screwed the idle all the way shut trying to calm it
down, so before I fired it I set the screw so I could just pull a 1/4"
wide piece of paper through it.  This was almost good, had to close it
a little bit more to get my 20 count.

Good luck!

Hopefully your tranny isn't fried and its just the solenoid.

Pat