Car dieing additinal info.

Patrick G. Moore pmoore at cmr.gov
Wed Aug 11 17:06:16 GMT 1999

Roger Heflin wrote:

> > I recently read about someone with a similar problem on a GM FWD tranny.
> > The car would die when put in gear.  It turned out to be the TCC solenoid
> > which he replaced and everything was fine.  Sounds like maybe yours went
> > bad and possibly driving it like that wore the TCC clutch enough to slip
> > some.
>
> How hard is the solenoid to replace?  Does the tranny need to be
> removed to do it?   Do you need to remove the fluid from the tranny,
> or just spill some and replace what you spilled?
> They tranny shop tells me end of next week before they can do anything
> with it, so if I can fix it myself that would seem to be best.
>
>                                 Roger
I thought it sounded easy, like an external part when the FWD guy did it.
But for the Buick GN 200R4? the instructions are at
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/tccsol.html

For this one you have to drop the pan and bathe in Dexron II.  But you can
do it.  I found this by searching the http://www.turbobuick.com tech talk
forum archives.  The places I found this link were in discussions of
a similar problem to yours.  Just search for tcc solenoid.

HTH
Pat