Car dieing additinal info.

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 11 17:43:37 GMT 1999

>How hard is the solenoid to replace?  Does the tranny need to be
>removed to do it?   Do you need to remove the fluid from the tranny,
>or just spill some and replace what you spilled?

Hi Roger. I have the '89 Camaro GM Manual in front of me... It indicates for
"No Converter Clutch Release"

1. Solenoid - external ground problem
2. Converter - internal damage
3. Oil Pump Assembly - converter clutch valve stuck

The solenoid is indeed in the pan. Need to completely pull the pan (and hope
not to get ATF everywhere).

The converter clutch valve looks tougher to get to. It's inside the oil pump
assembly, in the center of the trans... I've got diagrams and a scanner if
you need 'em, I can send 'em to ya.

HTH,

~Andrew