Idle Tables \ VSS screw-up

Jason Weir jweir at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 13 02:04:37 GMT 1999

Carl Summers wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>        Some engines don't seem to like the 14.7:1 afr bit since it also
> involves the o2 switching....generally the engine will also see higher
> afr's.....If you have larger pipes or bad placement of the o2 sensor it
> will slow the switching rate...partly because the sensor cools down.....If
> you don't already have a heated o2 sensor you might try doing that.....It
> has worked for me in the past when I have run into this...hth's
> -Carl Summers

Carl,
	I guess I should have mentioned that I am using a heated O2 sensor and
it is about 8 inches from the exhaust port (shorty style header) The
thing goes into closed loop really quick so that kinda rules that out.

As for the 14.7 AFR bit 0x2aa is what I assume you were referring to, I
had some strange results when changing this bit, it started with a value
of 147, well I bumped it down to 137 what I thought would be a richer
mixture. well this caused the BLM and INT values to drop taking away
pulse width, I thought this was strange so I went and changed it to 157
this time I thought it would be leaning the mixture out but it again did
the exact opposite it made the BLM and INT values increase.  So this
leads me to believe that the value being 147 is just coincidence 147
doesn't necessarily mean 14.7:1 AFR,  Am I way off on this or what?

Jason