Twin turbine TBI pump (was Suction through a unpowered Tank Pump.)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Wed Aug 18 02:12:58 GMT 1999

>of
>gm
>look
>>> >

>>> Nope, the 12-903 is kinda like an oil pump in a SBC.  Nothing fancy.
>Single
>>> motor, single input shaft, one gerotor eccentric pumping cell.   I'm not
>>> familiar with the twin turbine pumps you reference.
>>>
>>> Take care of yourself, and all the best!
>>>
>>> Walt.
>
>>SBC oil pump is a gear type.  I've seen gerotors in Ford cars.
>>Shannen
>

>Correct.  When I said "kinda" like a SBC oil pump I was trying to convey the
>mental picture of gear teeth meshing in order to convey fluid.  My thought
>was that this would differentiate the concept from other alternative pumps
>relying upon roller elements, turbines, and eccentric slung vanes.....
>
>The "Gerotor" is indeed an alternative type of gear pump.  Take the same SBC
>oil pump, turn one of the gears inside-out, enlargen it, slip it over the
>other gear, and voila  you have an eccentric gerotor cell.
>
>Bye the way, they are quiet.

But DEFINITELY sensitive to dirt! I wouldn't want to run one of these
without at least a suction sock!

This is exactly why I am STILL so tempted by a marine bilge pump: LOTS of
flow, about the correct pressure for a primary, in tank pump, and DESIGNED
to pump dirt without a fuss. Also, easy on the current at low flow rates
(with low flow meaning anything up to 1500 HP worth of goaoline flow, no
problem). Great reliability, particularly at the low flow rates it would be
seeing as a primary fuel pump--since running at high flow rates, not
running at the stall head/low flow, is what puts a load on a (centrifugal)
pump's motor.

I am sitting here looking at a Rule 3500, 24 volt bilge pump (also
available in 12 volt). A little bulky, about $125 from Graingers. It will
flow 36 HUNDRED gallons per hour into low head, and its stall (no flow)
head on gasoline should be about 7.5 or 8 psi. Its outlet is a plastic barb
for 1-1/4" diameter hose. It will pump about a 1/8' diameter pebble without
hurting itself.

I think I may have to soak this pump in solvent to see if anything
deteriorates. I am quite sure that the Coast Guard standards for anything
electrical going into a bilge are at least as demanding as what the auto
makers use for stuff destined for use in the inside of fuel tanks--a bilge
is actually a MORE dangerous environment than the inside of a fuel tank!!

Regards, Greg