MAF to MAP

the Fredericks fredericksk at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 20 03:50:01 GMT 1999

I was thinking about that pitot tube thing but I'm afraid of the liability
issue in parking lots...those pitot heaters get hot, and what about the eye
poke hazard?

Yes, on 7148 ECMs (my application) the MAF input is still limited at a
point.  But, extended range patches are available...as "Deepthroat", the
shadowy GM powertrain engineer, recently clued me in, the MAF signal is read
using a free running counter started at each pulse; the resulting counts are
then multiplied by a range constant, to compensate for linearity and allow
the resolution to be scaled at higher flow.  The resulting "quasi 16 bit"
number is used in the MAF lookup tables.  If you change the top constant,
you can double the range of the top section of the MAF table.  That's
regurgitated info; I didn't figure it out myself, so don't ask me any
piercing questions, okay?  :-)

Kendall Frederick