No subject

Rich Vandervoort richvandervoort at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 21 22:13:36 GMT 1999

>>From:          "Rich Vandervoort" <richvandervoort at hotmail.com>
>
>>Here's how we used to get wheels speeds from competitors ABS systems.  Tap
>>into the wheel speed signal at the ABS controller.  Note use twisted pair
>>wiring with a grounded shield, do not route near spark plug wires or
>>similar
>>noise sources.  The consequence of noise on wheel speeds can be no brakes.

OK, How???.  No way would a possible failed speed sensor disable the entire
braking system, maybe no abs, but that could happen anyway
Bruce

The ac noise can look like a real wheel speed to the ABS controller.
Reference velocity is then artificially too high.  The real wheel speeds
since they are below the high reference cause pressure dumps at  their
wheels.  If you are real unlucky the noise gets coupled to a rear wheel.
The rear wheels are usually hydraulically controlled together using the
lower of the two wheels speeds as a control variable.  Therefore it is
possible that even the wheel that has the noise on its wheels speed gets a
full dump because its axle mate is supplying the wheel speed the entire axle
is controlled by.  This isn't just theory I know of a vehicle that couldn't
stop and drove through a garage door because of wheel speed noise.

Rich V.