Traction control (long and sorta related to Software Dyno)

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sun Aug 22 00:17:57 GMT 1999

Scott Knight wrote:

> Grumpy,
>
> Uh oh, another wordy post on the way...
<snip>

> THAT ALL said, what I am thinking is that some of the newer ECMs that GM
> is using control transmission, AC, and probably some other things on
> cars I haven't looked at, could have the, say, the transmission control
> drivers reassigned to traction control duties.
GM has varying schemes with similar methods.  Retard spark, pull
cylinders, use an electronic "cable control" that backs off the
throttle during spin.  Apparently they don't share your concerns for
engine damage(this is not a flame).  I haven't heard of trans control
to reduce wheelspin.  There are variable stall converters, and
possibly one could be adapted to ecm control to aid in traction
control.  Several other things come to mind, airflow "chokes"
installed pre throttle body, a device to apply pressure to the gas
pedal against the driver's foot, exhaust restrictions.  A simple
method used on pickups and some cars is a cam shaped throttle linkage,
reducing the speed the throttle is opened when the angles are low.
Not burnout proof, but helps prevent wheel spin when leaving
stoplights.  I'm sure you can come up with your own method.  The trick
is in learning or finding someone to design the control system.

 Realizing that I have no
> experience yet with these things, I am asking the group I consider to be
> a collective of thinking gurus if they think it is possible.  Here is
> how I think: if an ECM can control an IAC motor in a feedback loop, why
> not a wastegate or throttle control system?  Seems like a good idea to
> me.
Vettes use a throttle control system.  The newest vettes are drive by
wire, so the pcm does all the decision making.  I don't know of any
vehicles that use the wastegate for traction control, but that's not
the final word by any means.

> One day, I WILL make a traction control system, whether it is by
> modifying an existing GMECM or building a bolt-on system from scratch.
> It is a pet project and we all know how they can get a life of their
> own.  I have just pondered the architecture of this for a while now and
> am excited that the newer PCMs have so much available functionality.
> Unfortunately, I don't understand the logistics of making it happen
> right now and want a quick samity check.
It will probably take a serious investment of your time to learn
enough to design your own system.  If you're impatient, be prepared
for much frustration.  This is especially true if you're skilled at
more mechanical tasks but electron challenged.  That's been my
experience, anyway.
Shannen