Traction control (long and sorta related to Software Dyno)

Scott Knight sknight at mich.com
Sun Aug 22 04:46:27 GMT 1999

Shannen,

> > cars I haven't looked at, could have the, say, the transmission control
> > drivers reassigned to traction control duties.

> GM has varying schemes with similar methods.  Retard spark, pull
> cylinders, use an electronic "cable control" that backs off the
> throttle during spin.  Apparently they don't share your concerns for
> engine damage(this is not a flame).  I haven't heard of trans control
> to reduce wheelspin.  There are variable stall converters, and

Sorry, I wasn't very clear here.  I meant that it should be possible to
redirect the duties of the transmission control drivers inside the PCM
to traction control.  That is provided they are not needed to control an
automatic trans anymore.

> Vettes use a throttle control system.  The newest vettes are drive by
> wire, so the pcm does all the decision making.  I don't know of any
> vehicles that use the wastegate for traction control, but that's not
> the final word by any means.

Aren't they the first DBW system by GM?  I know the F-cars and vettes
for the last few years have had an ASR system on them.  Maybe this is of
some use, but needs to be tailored more to performance than keeping the
boneheads from looping it in the rain.  Anyway, it appears that the
physical part may already be in place with the correct PCM choice.
Dunno if I want to tackle DBW, but an ASR capable PCM sounds like it
might be useful.  Beats trying to do it 10 years ago from scratch.
Scott Knight  mailto:sknight at mich.com
http://www.mich.com/~sknight IRC:SS396man
'95 Black Impala SS
'94 Ducati 900SS CR