ping

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 23 02:19:41 GMT 1999

At 06:58 PM 8/22/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I have an 87 IROC-Z 5 Liter, I think I have the 12277165 but I am not
>sure.  Just exactly where would I found out? On the computer
>case, or maybe the chip itself?

Should be a paper label on the computer case with a barcode... it will have
part number and service number.  (sometimes the same)

>I am still working on a ping problem at high acceleration. I Replaced the
>MAF because the confuser was telling me the MAF voltage was
>read as too low and also too high.  Replaced the two MAF relays, checked
>the wiring... Still same ping, same errors.
>
>I do have 3 old injectors on the motor still.  What's the chance that is
>the cause of my problem?

Possible, but you would see problems with rich/lean errors...

>The confuser also gave me an 'ESC error' unless the engine was detecting
>knock.  I heard whole lot a knockin going on so I am assuming
>the ESC is really just fine.
>
>The exhaust system has a 2 3/4 inch inner diameter pipe.  Is that
>stock?  It's got a new aftermarket catalytic converter.  Seems
>shorter than the stock one. Would any of those cause a leaner mixture to
>cause ping?
>
>If the exhaust system is the problem, I assume there would also be a way
>to compensate via the chip.
>
>Also, I see "WOT" a lot.  I think that means "High acceleration", and/or
>"High Load", little help..?

WOT is Wide Open Throttle...
 From the sound of it and the multiple weirdnesses you are seeing, I'd
suspect a ground gone bad for the computer or sensors...

            David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
    Sponges grow in the ocean... Wonder how deep it would be if they didn't?!