Traction Control & Racing

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Mon Aug 23 19:36:22 GMT 1999

Lower gears only help until you become traction limited.  That is why very
high power to weight vehicles don't need many gears.  I think an active
traction control system on a dragster will make it much more consistent and
able to run optimally even as track and atmosphere conditions change.
Aren't they illegal in top fuel?

What gearing would an SVT Cobra need to go faster?  Can't they already spin
their tires in first gear?  More gears with closer ratios would allow a
peakier engine tuning but that compromises economy.  Companies like Saleen
have fewer constraints than OEMs for economy and durability.  Also their
customer base is much narrower.  Its the federal regulations that create the
room for the tuners to operate.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>