Traction Control & Racing

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Wed Aug 25 13:57:13 GMT 1999

Gary, I mispoke.  Had to find my original message (I usually delete
them) to figure out what I "meant" to say.

What I meant to say... was when traction becomes limited, the driver can
downshift, upshift, or push the clutch in or ride the brake or a
combination of any of the above.  This I believe is the right way - not
with electronic gizmos.  At least not with what I have seen to date.

> traction control system on a dragster will make it much more consistent and
> able to run optimally even as track and atmosphere conditions change.

I don't believe traction control would help a top-fuel car.  As with any
vehicle that's used in seriously strip racing, one should be running a
spool, therefore there is no left-right balance, and I feel it defeats
the purpose of traction control.  Never tried it, so I'm merely
visualizing - what one can do when the wheels spin too much is back off
the throttle (yech) or back onto the clutch slightly.  We went through a
lot of clutches, however too much tirespin was reduced via this method.
A light tap is all it takes.

> Aren't they illegal in top fuel?

Yes, as are any kind of electronic engine/traction/abs stuff.  Loggers
are sometimes pegged as illegal, due to techs not recognizing what they
are, especially if they are homebrew.  Don't recall if loggers are
illegal or not.

> What gearing would an SVT Cobra need to go faster?  Can't they already spin
> their tires in first gear?  More gears with closer ratios would allow a

Wider tires, stiffer suspension, lower CG.  I mispoke.

> customer base is much narrower.  Its the federal regulations that create the
> room for the tuners to operate.

Yes, this is true.

--

Frederic Breitwieser