traction control and loss of braking

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Aug 25 09:30:51 GMT 1999

> Brake traction control is generally used in higher powered vehicles to
> quickly bring slip under control or to redistribute power in a split Mu
> situation.  Lower priced vehicles typically have engine only traction
> control systems because they are very cheap, a little engine code, some code
> in the ABS control unit and hardware to communicate back and forth.
> Traction control intervention will not cause a vehicle to go out of control.
>   Try driving a traction control vehicle on ice and doing donuts; it won't
> do them.
Try spinning the tires of a 90 Vette a few feet (like 50 or so) from
the wall or door of the shop then stopping immediately after.  It
won't do that either.  Traction control begins to operate, then ABS is
called in when you step on the brakes.  Poor car just keeps on
rolling.

> Try beating the stopping distance of ABS on dry pavement.  If you have a
> decent ABS system (not 1st generation or KH) you can not do it.

In the above situation, I sure can!  I've never come close to putting
an old drum braked big block car into the wall.  First time with a
Vette and I thought I was a goner.

>If you
> don't believe me you get a fifth wheel and try it.

 This is possible because
> ABS efficiency is better than your proportioned brake efficiency.
>
> If you have any more questions about ABS or TCS please contact me offline
> via my email address.
Just a little note about a particular shortcoming, doesn't need any
more mention.
Shannen