Interesting '89 Calibrator...

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Aug 26 04:05:24 GMT 1999

Mike Frels wrote:

> A couple of months back I bought a 165 ECM out of an junked '89 Camaro.
> Last weekend I finally had a chance to test if it was a good working box.
> After removing the calibrator I took the blue cover off and saw something
> that puzzles me. the 16 pin chip of the two small chips has had the #2 and
> #15 leads cut. There is also a 10k resistor soldered across the #2 and #3
> contacts in the calibrator socket of the same chip. If this is the netres
> chip for limp home what would this modification accomplish?
>
> Baffled Newbie
> Mike
This accomplished some interesting discussion after it was brought up
un the list last time. <g>  This is probably an aftermarket
performance chip, or has been retuned, and the cut pins seem to be an
attempt to prevent reading the prom image.  I've had luck using 2
straight pins as "jumpers" to read the chip.  Any chance the prom was
buried in rtv sealant?  Was there a "happy face" sticker anywhere?

As to the resistor, I have no clue.  The two pins are power and
ground, and someone else on the list offered a suggestion as to how
the ecm could read the prom with these cut. It's in the archives,
maybe under the subject "name this tune".
Shannen