1227749 EEPROM Type

Scott Flanagan flanaj at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 3 04:00:19 GMT 1999

While at the junkyard the other day I luckily came accross two '88 Pointiac
Grand Am Quad 4's.  They have the 1227749 with the uncommon Integrated
Direct Ignition.  I am trying to work with an old reader, but I am not too
sure what type of chip it is, or if it is too odd to read.  The chip in one
of the ECU's has the number 27C256 on it, that is an original chip, which
does not have a window for erasing.  My reader says it can read an I27256
but it can't read it at all.  The other ECU is a remanufactured one, the
chip does not have any numbers on it that are useful, but it does have a
window for erasing things, my burner can read it but the information is
garbled.  When loaded into Promgrammer it has some wacky values such as 0
cylinders, etc.  Also, this is probably a dumb question but do you have to
unsolder the chip from the long brown carrier?  Right now I have an adapter
that I made that connects the brown carrier to the reader.  Thanks, I am
very excited that I could finally find these ECU's and complete harnesses.

                            -Scott Flanagan

'80 Fiat Spider (Awaiting new FI and Turbo)