'96 and '97 PCM's

Jennifer Green & Scott Peitzsch jlg-sep at mediaone.net
Tue Dec 7 22:47:58 GMT 1999

>I know there are guys out there working on understanding the software
>inside the '96 or '97 PCM's.  If I remember someone is working on a '97
>Camaro, and someone is working on a '96 Vette.  If you are working on
>either of these, could you please let me know?  If I remember right, I
>think Tom Hussey was one.   I've got questions regarding communication
>with these PCM's:
>1.  Do they still support ALDL communication (in addition to OBD-II
>communication)?

I know that the LT1 equipped B and F-cars still retain the old style
ALDL port on pin 9 of the OBDII connector, but haven't verified it on
the Y-car.  They also contain the new OBDII Class II serial
communication port on pin 2.

>2.  If yes, what protocol do they support?

>From what I've been able to tell, full ALDL communication is still
possible via pin 9, and OBDII spec communication via pin 2.

>3.  If no, what hardware are you using to communicate with the PCM.
>
>I hope to start digging into these PCM's soon (aside:  soon is such a
>relative term......).  I've ordered Alex's OBD-II interface

I know this is a DIY group, so what I'm about to ask may be blasphemous,
but has anyone tried using the AutoTap cable to communicate with the
16214399 PCM using their own software?  For those who already own one,
it may provide a great starting point.

Scott Peitzsch