88 Caprice w/troubles

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Sun Dec 12 21:13:24 GMT 1999

>with the carb tonight,  I started wondering if the secondaries are opening.
>When I start it I can see the secondary lockout solenoid suck the lockout
> lever in.  Is this later released when vacuum gets high enough?

That's not the lockout, that's the dashpot which controls the opening of
the ai valve. When you punch it the secondary throttle plates open, and as
manifold vacuum drops the dashpot allows the valves to open, raising the
secondary metering rods.

The secondary throttle plate lockout is a small cam driven off the choke
linkage - it hits the secondary throttle shaft and prevents it from opening
until the choke is off.  It only moves about 1/8" and commonly sticks, a
quick spray of 2+2 usually fixes that.

Amazing how much simpler FI looks after thinking about this.....  ;^>

> Just revving it in neutral doesn't open the secondaries.

That's normal.  Air valve is controlled by load, not throttle position or rpm.

> How can I test this to see if it's working properly?

Open choke, open throttle all the way.  Hold the air valve open and you
should see the secondary throttle blades wide open.

>Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. You've all been a great help.
>
>Bill

--> Bob Valentine
--> bob at tecmark.com