[admin] 2.5" hard disk

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Mon Dec 13 15:32:42 GMT 1999

On Sat, Dec 11, 1999 at 06:18:04PM -0500, Frederic Breitwieser wrote:
> > But this all begs the obvious question - why use a 2.5"
> > drive when a 3.5" drive is probably cheaper (and dare I
> > suggest - more reliable - or are laptop drives less reliable
> > because people drop them more often?)
>
> Probably because the individual looking for this elusive hard drive has
> a case that was intended for a dedicated application, like a network
> sniffer, that only has space for a 2.5" drive.
>
> The bad thing about 2.5" drives is they generate a lot of heat, and are
> designed to be powered down occasionally, partially to save electricity
> for the laptop's battery, but also to cool off.

I'd like to call attention to Frederic's comment above about
the 2.5" IDE drives running hot.

These drives are NOT intended to be used long term in heavy use
servers.  In order to get maximum life out of them, they need
to be powered down when not in use.  Will the server they are
being put in power them down?  If not, expect to have to replace
it in under three years (they have a rating something on the
order of 20k hours when run continously).

OB-GMECM: The traction control system on the 96 and eariler Y-body
is partially controlled by the ECM and partially by another
subsystem.  As you may or may not know, the system defaults "ON."
>From what I can tell of the wiring in the service manual, there
is no way to default the system off.  It appears the only real
control the ECM has is to retard the timing.  Can anyone confirm
that, or give me any insight into possible table entries or
parameters for the ASR system?

Thanks,

   Marc

--
  Marc Randolph     -    mrand at pobox.com    -     PGP keyID: 0x4C95994D
     If you have any info on the mid-60's car called the Bill Thomas