Horse Power and its Effectiveness

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Wed Dec 15 00:36:03 GMT 1999

My reason for stating that diesels make less torque (atmo to atmo) than a
gas engine is there is always some unused air left over unless you go really
rich like a tractor puller.  Its easy to find high torque turbo diesels
because boost is not limited by detonation.  The only limit is mechanical
and thermal stress.

Diesel fuel has more heat energy per volume but not per weight but this has
no effect on torque.  The amount of fuel is adjusted to use all the air
which can't be practically done in a diesel.  The high expansion ratio in a
diesel does help close the torque gap.

Compare a 350 Olds Diesel to a 350 Olds gas engine.  I don't have the specs
but I will eat my cone shaped hat if the diesel has more torque.  Even
Mercedes diesels have less torque than their equivalent gas engines (atmo to
atmo).

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>