ABS/TCS

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Dec 15 07:00:27 GMT 1999

Dave Williams wrote:

> -> > is partially controlled by the ECM and partially by another
> -> > subsystem.
>
> > Yes, this is ABS/TCS behind the driver's seat.
>
>  Drat!  I blew a hundred bucks for nothing, then.  I picked up a '94
> ABS/ASR hydraulic setup last week; the ABS controller was already
> missing.  The '87 ABS I already have is self-contained; I wasn't
> expecting the ECM to have any control over the '94 one.

The ecm does not actually control the TCS.  When the TCS calls for
power reduction, one of the steps is to send a timing retard signal to
the ecm.  This could possibly be tied into an ESC input on an earlier
model ecm.  The manual I have says the spark retard due to slippage is
limited to TDC, so keep that in mind if using the "knock box" line.
You realize that the dealer price for the controller is around $1200,
yes?

Shannen