Average Horse Power

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Dec 15 08:39:11 GMT 1999

Andrew Wakeling wrote:

> Hiya all,
>
> Right, NOW I know why people didn't want to go here... but anyhow, the
> point I was trying to make, in my ORIGINAL message... before all this
> stuff was...
>
> Well, firstly, I DID forget to mention torque, and YES, it does play a
> significant role in engine performance etc.
> Just for books:
>
> Torque = Force x Displacment
>
> OR
>
> Torque = Force x Distance
>
> Now, my original proposition, was that... NEITHER maximum Torque nor
> maximum Horsepower matter towards the final quarter of a mile time.
> Here's why...
Apples, oranges, pomegranates
You're on the right path, but need to integrate the ideas.  You're
also finding insight into the ways numbers can be misused.  A
comparison needs a constant to be accurate.

Gear your car to run the engine well below max torque, then get a
time.
Gear your car to run the engine at max torque, then run for time.
Gear your car to run the engine well above max torque, then run for
time.
Second run gets better results.
Race only cars have the advantage, they can be optimized more than
street cars.

The way to build an engine is to make torque in a desired rpm range.
The way to select gears is to make that rpm range available for the
longest time.

The comparison factor you're looking for *is* the dyno graph.  Torque
and hp curves are important, and the flatter the torque curve the more
constant acceleration will be.  But there are many variables.  An
engine with a peaky torque curve can outrun an engine with a broad,
flat curve if it's run at it's efficient rpm more often.

Broad, flat torque curve on the street.
Sharp, peaky torque curve in an optimized race car.

Least that's what I think now.  I reserve the right to stand
corrected.
Shannen