z24 code

dhardin at ovec.com dhardin at ovec.com
Wed Dec 15 12:32:22 GMT 1999

I believe that you are correct.  The ARDC code should work in the 89.  The 89
however may of had some tuning changes etc and that is why the ardc was not used
that year. I believe that both years use the 730 computer.  Mine runs really
well.
BTW ....what happened to the 2.8?  Its pretty hard to kill one.  They run great.
I rebuit mine after 190K miles and the only thing that was wrong with it was the
timing chain was slapping around.  When I got it apart you could still see the
crosshatch honing marks on the cyl. walls.  The bearings had wear, but were
good, the cam seemed to be ok.  I was amazed.  I would probably made it to 250K,
but the timing chain might have eventually skipped.  Anyway I went ahead and
rebuilt it using the 1985 model year pistons because they were flattops.
However I had to put copper shims under the heads to keep the compression
reasonable.  Without them I would have had about 12:1 CR.  A little to high.
Now I've got about 10.8.  I really wanted about 10, but that is close.  I used
the MPG camshaft from NAPA.  Basically that cam is stock with the "EGR effect"
removed.  I wanted a smooth idle for a daily driver.  The rest of the engine
went stock.  I also rebuilt the 125C.  All together I spent no more than $1100
on both engine and trans.  Also put the Gill Younger shift kit from NAPA in the
trans.  I highly recommend that.  It's only about $10.   I made the tuning
changes to the ARDC and WOW it's got power.  Of cource it ran great stock, but
the high compression really helped it.  I imagine it would really have some good
power if I went radical with the cam, but I hate the rough idle.  Besides I got
a 68 GTO for that kind of stuff.  Anyway I only burn 87 octane, no problem.