95 vs 96 pcm

Jennifer Green & Scott Peitzsch jlg-sep at mediaone.net
Thu Dec 16 18:46:41 GMT 1999

>> The last set of O2 sims I bought for my '96 Impala SS were $52/pair.
>> I used them for roughly one year with a custom exhaust that has since
>> been replaced.  Got them from Caspers Electronics @ (847) 247-0484 in
>> case anyone has a need for a set.  They should properly simulate the
>> second O2 sensor(s) on any '96+ GM vehicle w/ a 4 wire O2 sensor.
>
>Did these eliminate the after cat sensor(s)?  Did they tie in to the
>wires from the pre cat sensors?

The sims eliminated the secondary (after-cat) O2 sensors which the PCM
uses to verify the presence and proper operation of the catalytic
converter.  The primary (pre-cat) O2 sensors are left entirely alone.
The ones that I ordered from John @ Caspers had the correct (for my
car) 4x1 style connector on them to plug directly into the existing
harness.

Someone asked about a Ford version, but to be honest I don't think I've
ever seen one.... though I don't own any Fords, so I wouldn't be
looking either!<g>  However, I suspect that even if they aren't made,
a GM sim could easily be adapted for Ford use.  I think someone
recently mentioned that the only difference is that the Ford is a 3
wire and uses the case for ground, while the GM is 4 wire and has a
discrete ground in the connector?

-Scott