I wanna burn my own chips!

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Fri Dec 17 19:10:30 GMT 1999

KasaRyan at aol.com wrote:

> On the subject of making my own chip just - I am a controls engineer and
> would have no problem burning my own chips and it would have made this
> project go one hell of a lot smoother that is for sure - what I need to know
> from the GMECM folks is what exactly I need to do it, where do I go for
> information, and how much do these things cost?  I have tried looking thru
> the archives but about a million posts come up when I try to search on
> anything like this.  I can breadboard a little something up if that is
> required - here is what I think I need:  Some blank uveproms - 2764?  An
> eprom burner that hooks to the serial port of my computer.  Some sort of
> windows based software to convert what is in the chip to an understandable
> table.  I can then go out and run what i made and watch the int and blm

You'll also need a UV eraser.  Digikey has a $50 and $40 one.  Get the
$50, it comes with a timer to make sure you don't leave a chip under UV
for 6 weeks.  Other than that you've got it. The windows software is the
other part.  There are a couple programs on the ftp site, promedit and
winbin, that will convert prom images into editable tables.  Problem is
-- you need a .ecu file that describes how the tables are laid out in
your chip. 747, 730, and 165 (V8 versions anyway) have been pretty well
laid out by ECMguy and .ecu files probably exist in some for for them.
For other ECMs you're on your own.  It's not to hard to spot tables in a
hex dump of a prom, but figuring out what they do is what separates the
men from the boys, at least on this list :-)

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com