Speaking of remote IAC

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 20 15:21:12 GMT 1999

At 10:12 AM 12/20/1999 -0500, you wrote:

>As some of you know, I have been building a custom FI manifold for my 67
>383 bb
>dodge coronet.  One of the things I did was cut off the IAC motor off the side
>of a 3.1-L  sfi chevy v-6 with a horozontal badsaw.  Then milled the sides
>square, welded plates over the holes, drilled and tapped for 3/8"  hose barbs.
>I will be using a modified carb bsaeplate for my Throttle body.  My concern is
>over the IAC ability to feed the necessary cfm at idle and high idle
>during cold
>start.  I plan on adjusting the throttle blades to compensate for most of the
>warm idle rpm, but still don't know if the IAC motor openings will allow
>for any
>significant idle increase.  I am using an ACCEL DFI unit, and can play the
>fuel
>enrichment game to keep the car running at low cold idles, but I would really
>like to see 1500 rpm when the coolant temps are below 50 F.  The warmed up
>engine will idle at around 700-850 rpm.  Will the IAC allow me to go from
>1500?  has anyone messed with this?  Thanks.

The IAC for a similar sized engine will allow the rpm's to go probably to
2000 or so if necessary, but why do you want a 1500 RPM cold idle?  With
proper idle enrichment etc, an idle of 1100-1200 tops should be plenty...
At 1500, you will be stressing drivetrain components when you put it into
gear, and unduly wearing the engine from cold start oil starvation.

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!