Speaking of remote IAC

Jeff M tystorm at email.msn.com
Mon Dec 20 16:10:00 GMT 1999

The DFI will give you more, but sounds like you are limited buy the amount
of IAC bypass air with your current setup.  This next suggestion will make
enough sense that you will feel like you did it already (?).  First you
don't need the engine cold to do the testing, though a cold engine/thick oil
will require more air to achieve the desired rpm setpoint but you will still
be able to achieve your research.  Fire things up and start the Idle Speed
vs Coolant Temp in the DIF at like 900 and keep upping the values until
there are no more increases, then note the last value entered into the DFI
that actually made an rpm increase, then note when there were no more
increases.  Your 383 needs more air to idle than a 191 (3.1L) so, you will
need to open the slits for the IAC bypass air circuit to compensate, and I
do not think you will need to enlarge the CSH pintle resting place, there is
quite a bit of area there.  Start off careful as it will not take much, but
you do need to have enough so as to have the system not struggling when it
comes time to set the Stall Saver, Throttle Follower and IAC Starting
Position areas in the DFI.  Also, the warm to hot idle setpoints are in the
same menu box as the cold so, I would not rely on the position of the
throttle plates so much for your desired idle rpms (though you can) as this
will negate/or decrease the DFI from be more fully in control and able to
respond accordingly to other idle control tables mentioned above.  So, it
sounds like you can make it happen with little difficulties for your
talents, just make sure you read the DFI manual for tips in the same areas
talked about here idle control.

Jeff Middaugh