Beginning at the beginning

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Thu Feb 4 20:04:06 GMT 1999

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Shannen Durphey wrote:

> Since we're setting the pace for the list, I'd like to get a word in
> before being left in the dust.  There's going to be a lot of
> discussion of disassembly, I hope, and much of it more technical than
> what's typically of DIY_EFI.  For me, I've been checking every
> reference posted, collecting as much info as possible, and hoping to
> run across enough "magic keys" to start participating instead of
> "adding $.02 worth" to the code discussions.
>
> Maybe we could get some idea over the next few days about everyone,
> what background they've got, etc.  If there are enough people like
> myself, trying to learn some basics along with some specific info
> about our chosen ECM, maybe it won't take years for the beginners to
> help out.
>
> And also, if anyone here has some good references, please mention
> them.  I'd invest $30 in a book that helps me along, but I don't want
> to order a $100 manual that's just not useful.
>
> I don't want to slow anybody down.  I'm trying to get an idea of the
> "experience level" of the list, and hopefully find enough guys at my
> level to start a working group.
> Shannen

If you can handle programming and assembly get the motorola data
sheets for the 68HC11 (if you believe your ecm is based on that).
Mine looks to be closly based on a 68HC11F1 with a maybe 1-2 things
added on (the PWM stuff), but all of the register addresses line up
and make sense using the 68hc11F1 as the model.  There is one of the
datasheets that has a detailed instruction list common for all of the
68HC11 cpus, and then there are specific data sheets that discuss the
specific workings of each different models registers.   The
instruction list is a big file (500-600 pages), I have generally been
keeping acrobat reader open with the instruction list/explaination
there, and the model specific one that seems to be close to mine.  I
started with this, and a listing of the ALDL output, I sorted out the
ALDL routine and at that point knew where alot of the variables were,
from that you are able to figure out what other varaibles enough of
the time to figure things out.

Depending on your level of experience you may want to get a book or
some references, or become familiar with the sort of simple math and
boolean operations used in small 8-bit micros.   I don't really know a
good book for that.

I already has previous assembly language experience, and some basic
embedded micro experince from college,  so alot of this
was not new to me.  The biggest problem may be if you don't have
assembly language experience.

				Roger