My biased opinions

Mike Pitts mpitts at netspeak.com
Sun Feb 7 21:13:00 GMT 1999

>>I thought a few of you guys were working on a sequential
>>speed density ecm to adapt to the buicks? sequential and
>>DIS on a syty...ahh, that would be nice...

FelPro already worked on this.  8-)

I don't think sequential is "all-that" unless you are trying
to make big injectors idle cleanly.  Or you don't like the
hydraulic shock on the fuel rail associated with batch fire.
FWIW: My GN runs alot better with a batch fire DFI than it
does with the sequential OEM ECM.

DIS though...I would like to see if I can get this to work
on my 4.3L Vortec.  I've got a spare DIS sitting on the shelf
just waiting for this kind of project.

Adding wideband O2 capability to the OEM ECM...now that would
be trick in my book!  Adapting a system which uses a large
hi-flow MAF would be cool too.  MAF systems IMO are much easier
to work with since you get a direct reading of mas air flow,
rather than calculating based on a "best-guess" table (which
is all I have when I mess with the DFI).

|>One thing I have always wanted to do, is to make the
|>7148 ecm programmable, kinda like a DFI.

I think making the 7148 programmable is a waste of time.
That ECM is so outdated it's pathetic.  Plus most of the
ROM is permanently embedded (without MAJOR modification).

This is not a flame, it's just that I've been inside a
newer P4 PCM and have "seen the light". Compared to C3's,
the P4's rock!  It's like comparing an Apple-II to a
Pentium-II.

The 7749 would be a *much* better candidate since it is
faster, uses a 68HC11 rather than a 6801, has a fast data
stream, is completely programmable (no embedded ROM), etc,
etc.

Personaly I am working with an 8625, which is similar to
the 7749 but has electronic trans capability as well. I've
even located some EEPROM in the MCU which was unused and
have already written a code patch to place the VE table in
that location and another patch to allow me to alter it
from a laptop.  (ala: DFI-like capability)  But like
Brian's 3-bar code, it's not ready for prime time yet.

-Mike