EPROM emulator

jgwynne at mrcday.com jgwynne at mrcday.com
Fri Feb 12 15:16:05 GMT 1999

   In message <36C3FB6F.1446B288 at cruzers.com>, you write:

| The chip count is:
|  10  '157    muxes  (remember, two banks!)
|   2  '257    muxes
|   2  '245    transceivers
|   1  '74     F/Fs
|   1  '32     OR gates
|   1  PIC     microcontroller
|   1  MAX232  RS232 driver/receiver

My first drawing uses 14 chips (all small chips, except for RAM and
FLASH, I'm trying to avoid PLD's) + uP support. That's on par with
your approach which is a little different. I had intended on using loadable
shift registers to clock our data and reduce the routing.

| Gee, this would be quite impressive, even when using SOP surface mount
| parts!

Thank you... I once made a board with more than 40 chips too :)

Your point? If it takes 20 we'll use 20... if we can do it in less, we
will. I have not excluded a dual port RAM design. we need to look at
part availability and cost before making those decisions.

| FYI, the P4's ('165, '727, '730, '748, '749) wire the EPROM's ~CS input
| to ground.  The ~OE input is driven by the MPU.  It is asserted for
| reads in the upper 32K of memory.  It is conditioned by an (MPU
| internal) VMA, so location $FFFF will not be read during address
| computation cycles.  ~OE asserts in the middle of the E low time.  It
| deasserts upon the E high-to-low transition.  Thus, ~OE is high for only
| about 120nS between back to back PROM reads (with a 2^21 Hz E rate.)

Thanks!

I assume that means that none of the P4's used EPROM's larger that 32K?

john