hyper 7148

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 14 15:31:53 GMT 1999

Dave Z wrote:

> GCAR came from one of you chaps? I thought that was canadian ;-)

Even though I stuck a copy of it on my web page, I got it from a
canadian - so I guess that really is its origin :P I played around with
it, compiled my own versions a few times, and then put up that web page
with "all I knew". :) That was about a year (or more?) ago.

> I have an HC11 based monitor circuit I made.. very flexible and
> expandable, always growing very slowly though. Imagine the GCAR board
> with display capability and a 232 port.

I've been thinking of something similar... Possibly using a PIC,
though... I've got thoughts of using a LCD (I have a few displays), a
keypad, and the PIC to decode the data and supply the LCD with the text.

And now, so I don't post multiple times, on to Tom's reply to me - and a
question about transient suppression. What do ya'll think is required to
properly shield the ECM? The way I have my board working, I'm powering
it off of the cigarette lighter. The laptop I'm using has a dead
battery, so I just plugged it in to the wall of the garage. ;) The only
"protection" I really have is a capacitor (don't recall what value I
used... 20uF, I think) on the high side of the 7805 voltage regulator.
Nothing on the input line to the ECM (other than the resistors and
transistors). Any suggestions on what else I could use? I do have the
grounds (DC-) hooked all the way through from the computer to the car. I
realize opto isolation would be best, but... I don't think I have any of
those chips laying around (everything I build, I build from scrap parts
- I recycle ;^D).

Thanks!

-Andrew