PROM Bugs

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Sun Jul 4 08:52:27 GMT 1999

CSH-HQ wrote:

> >The sad thing is - I've written a program that does 90% of the work to
> >find these bugs.  I haven't needed to read and understand every line of
> >code.  This does not say good things about GM QA.
>
> Would this also, indicate that such "bugs", can run in a simulator just fine?.
> Why, is it a sad thing?.

These buggy chips could appear to run just fine on a simulator.  (By
simulator, I assume you mean your ECM test bench setup.)  If the bugs
were bad enough to cause constant glitches, they'd have been caught
during engine calibration.

It's sad because these bugs could be easily found through "mechanical"
means.  In other words, a computer could have found them without human
intervention or being programmed with specific knowledge about the chip.
 Not finding these bugs is equivalent to building a high stakes race
motor from a junk yard heap without magnafluxing.