HELP, I erased the flash in my PCM

DAVE_HEMPSTEAD at HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com DAVE_HEMPSTEAD at HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Wed Jul 7 12:41:04 GMT 1999

>>From: "Ward" <wspoonemore at excite.com>
>>Subject: Re: HELP, I erased the flash in my PCM
>>
>>Been there -- done that.
>>There is no way to get the ALDL back on line. you can use the Motorola boot
>>loader vias the manufacturing test connector to install the boot loader in
>>the HC11 EEPROM, Else de-solder et al.
>>Ward

Ward,
   I figured you've been here.  Is bootstrap mode the same thing as the boot
loader?  I've read up abit on the boot strap mode (Motorola app note 1060).
Have you figured out what the code is in boot strap mode?  The samples I've seen
from Motorola all show SCI communication, so you can download code to execute
(and therefore to re-flash memory).  I am assuming that GM has told Motorola to
put in a custom boot strap mode, and if so, it would take some time to figure it
out (using a logic analyzer, and only IF the addr and data pins are turned on).

   Can you describe the manufacturing test connector?

   Also, do I have to put the boot loader into eeprom, or could I put it into
(battery backed) ram?

Thanks,
Dave H