Halp ANHT cal

Jason Weir jweir at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jul 11 15:24:10 GMT 1999

thergen at svn.net wrote:

> If it helps, if my '92 v6 4.3 vortec doesn't start on the first try
> (typically 60F ~ 90F OAT) with the usual 1 - 2 second crank, I have to
> floor it (clear flood mode) to get it to start.  This holds true whether
> it's been setting for hours or it's a warm restart.
>
> Compared to my '87 cavlier (2.8, dis, maf), which is similiar to one of
> the cals you've mentioned (map?), the crank was always longer, but I very
> rarely had to floor it, even if it didn't catch the first crank.
>
> Tom

I've got the same problem with my 4.2L AMC I6, 4.3 7747 TBI swap, if it
doesn't catch the first time I have to go to clear flood mode to get it
to start and when it does start it blows black smoke, I have decreased
the fuel during cranking by 50% and this didnt seem to help, what did
seem to help a little was to reduce the fuel in the VE tables at 0-400
rpm and 20-40 map to 0 this helped but it didnt make it perfect. I didnt
touch the other VE tables, so I dont know if decreasing fuel there would
help even more... I'll try decreasing fuel in the other VE tables and
report the results.

Jason
--
88 Wrangler - 158K miles and counting
258 I6, 4.0 head, Cherokee header, 2.5" High-Flow Cat & Flowmaster