a MAF too small

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Thu Jul 22 09:40:35 GMT 1999

> Date:          Thu, 22 Jul 1999 01:18:46 -0800
> From:          Ludis Langens <ludis at cruzers.com>

<snip>

> Isn't the problem not that your maxing the MAF sensor, but that you are
> maxing the computers internal airflow variable at 255 g/s?  It's a
> frequency MAF, right?

yes thats exactly right.. my terms need help. yes, a Freq MAF.  I had
wondered if it could read beyond the listed freq. the last table has
values beyond the listing but they are all 255 255 255...

> It seems to me that the solution is to change the MAF variable to read
> in units of 2 g/s.  You'll need to change the MAF frequency->flow
> tables, and all references to the MAF variable(s).  No need to change
> any hardware unless you decide that the original MAF is constricting the airflow.

OK right there is the question:  "AND ALL REFERENCES TO MAF
VARIABLES"  I understand things such as comparisons (trip points)
etc... but how to determine what they are... ?  I could start with
G/S and trace thru the code and find everything it touches (looong
time) and then half each one of them.. then I'd have to HALF each
comparison to each variable that was CALCULATED using the original...
unless of coarse the usage was in a formula where the MAF value was
MULTIPLIED. or DIVIDED. then what the heck can you do.  Am I
over-complicating things?

> The stock MAF sensor should be able to measure more than 255 g/s.  The
> output frequency will simply go beyond the normal range.  It might go
> non-linear, and/or the ECM's frequency measurement may have lots of
> error, but it should be a usable measurement.

Anyone know the HP limit of 255 G/S???

Hey someone should alter the code to use 9 bits for the G/S. he he
he.

Dave Z. www.delanet.com/~tgp